Thursday, November 29, 2012

 More of my last Thrift store Haul tomorrow night... I wanted to show you some of my art.  I like to take  Thrift Store art and re-work/repaint  to more suit my taste.     You can always add colors to the painting that you want.    I like to take a painting that has very bright colors and tone them down.   Using a walnut stain, it will mute the colors and make the whole painting seemed far more aged... Or repaint the whole thing, completely change it all.  Much cheaper than buying it from a gallery and you can put your own style into it. I can buy a huge painting to re-do much cheaper than buying a blank canvas.  I use whatever paint or brushes I have on hand.   Acrylic or latex house paint.. stains.  I put the stain on with an old sock, If I want to simply age it I apply it in small circles. If I want to change the painting more, I will pounce the color or stain on.  Pouncing gives a very dappled light or dark affect.  (I will post a work done like that soon.. it's drying right now..) 


I love abstract art.. and here are some of my work/repaints:

 The above one, isn't finished yet... Work in Progress.


 This was a beach scene.. Now it is more a view of the heavens from  outer space.


 This was a mountain.  I paid $20 for it. Love the size and the frame.
 This was a portrait of screaming smiling faces dripping in blood before (Yes, really)until I made it a full abstract. It was $9.00
 Another beach scene repaint.. This is an outer space desert planet..
 This was a few blocks on red.. and now a full abstract.  I think I may add some more color to it.. so again.. work in progress, This is my current favorite. It cost $7.00
This I used the walnut stain on to mute all the really bright green and add depths to the stripes. 

Thrift stores near me, have an amazing selection and variety of Art.  I have looked for years and had never found very much.  Since living here I have found so many.. I know own close to 40 pieces of art, much more than my little place can I handle.  BUT I am moving next year to a bigger place that  I hope to own so I am stockpiling all the art that I find, that I love and that are affordable.     Large pieces and works that speak to me... or that I think I can re-work till I love.    I want a home that is part gallery.  I love moving artwork around, swapping this work for that work.   Just doing that can so change a room.    I would love to own 100 paintings.   In my living room currently, I have 18 paintings/works of art.    Also I will paint a piece, then hang it up... mull over what it needs, then get in a mood to add more to it... till it is really done.    When someone comes to my home I want them to think they are in a comfy gallery filled with conversation starting treasures!


Don't be afraid to buy something you aren't in love with and make it right for you!  I never thought I would be an artist, but painting is so relaxing and invigorating at the same time. I love taking control of the canvas, and hanging it up when I am done.  My first work was not very good.. but I got better.  So will you!  

Happy Thrift painting!    

No comments:

Post a Comment